The Tequila Sunrise cocktail gets an upgrade by swapping smoky mezcal for tequila and a sweet, tart DIY pomegranate syrup for store-bought grenadine.
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce dry sparkling white wine
- 2 ounces orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed and strained
- Cook pomegranate juice and sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a heatproof container, and chill until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Pour mezcal, sparkling wine, and orange juice into a rocks glass filled with ice. Top with 1 Tbsp. Pomegranate Syrup.
- Pomegranate Syrup can be made 7 days ahead; chill in an airtight container.